Kick Your Nasty Guest Out
This morning I was talking to my spiritual advisor about some obsessive fearful thoughts that were having their way with me between my ears!
My advisor mentioned that once we grab onto a negative thought, it starts out as a guest, then the host, and then the master. I thought that was an incredible description of how the mind can become so fixated on a problem, and magnify into this larger than life master.
Kick the nasty guest out (your initial thought) and then there is no chance it can become the master and take over your words, actions, choices and behaviors. Stop it before it takes root!
ow do we get rid of these negative thoughts? Try some of these tools below:
- Clap your hands together loudly and scream stop.
- Visualize a huge stop sign in your mind.
- Grab a pen and a piece of paper and cathartically write down all those fearful thoughts and then rip it up, then write a faith list.
- Pick up the phone and call a trusted friend and discuss your thoughts.
- Focus on the moment, the colors, the smells, and the sounds of your environment.
- Write a gratitude list.
Know that the problem lies in the mind. And the good news is that the solution also lies in the mind. If we change our thoughts, we can change our lives. Easier said than done some days, but with a little practice and awareness you will be on your way.
If I can do, you can too!