The Gentle Mental Diet
“Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Students in my “F*cked Up to Fixed Up” workshops are given an elastic band to wear around their wrist for a week. They have to snap it whenever they have a negative thought. Every time. A negative thought is any thought that consists of judgement, gossip, self-deprecation, resentment, fear, complaining or you get the idea.
I encourage you to take this life-transforming “Mental Diet” that was taught to me years ago by one of the forefathers of the new thought movement, Emmett Fox. After my students snap the elastic on their wrist they gently remind themselves they are breaking the habit of negative thinking, and replace the thought with some of Louise Hay and my own affirmations;
- It is safe to be me.
- I communicate with ease and joy.
- My mind is gentle and harmonious.
- I love and approve of myself.
- All is well right in this moment, right here, right now.
- The Universe has my back.
- Everything happens for my highest good.
- I am a magnet for positivity.
- I am gentle with myself.
- I am doing the best I can right now.
- I live in the present moment joyous and free.
- I am grateful for this lesson.
- I am getting better everyday in many ways.
- Life loves me.
- I am surrounded by wonderful people in my life.
- This is just a moment in time through my journey.
- I bring peace to every aspect of my life.
- Life just gets better and better and better.
- Everything is eternal and everlasting.
Bringing subconscious habitual thoughts to your conscious awareness can be shocking at first. In doing so most people have an epiphany over just how many negative thoughts they have in just one day. Research shows people have 60,000-70,000 thoughts EVERY DAY and many have the SAME thoughts (approximately 90%) the next day and the next and the next. The same thoughts and patterns over and over and over again.
That’s a habit we all need to break if those thoughts are working against us and not FOR us. Moving from familiar thoughts to new thoughts will change your life forever. Those new thoughts will create new feelings, new choices, new behaviors and new results.
By taking part in this gentle mental diet your world will start to rock-and-roll, almost like an earthquake but in a good way. Hold on and breathe through it and when your world stops rocking you will become a vibrational match to your new way of thinking. People will ask you what you’ve been doing because they’ll notice the big change in you, which will emanate out into your surroundings.
So, if you’re happy already, no need for this diet. But if you’re carrying around a little too much baggage, put that rubber band on your wrist and start snapping. One week. For YOUR life.